Piazza Maggiore is the main square of Bologna, one of the landmarks of the city and is surrounded by the most important buildings of the medieval city.
Among those, the oldest is the Podesta Palace, built in 1201 and extensively renovated between 1472 and 1484 by the Lords Bentivoglio, surmounted by the Tower dell'Arengo, whose ringing bell served to called the people to gather together.
Nearby was built the Re Enzo Palace, under which opens a maze of pedestrian streets. On the contour of this prestigious square stand also the Palace of the Notaries, built between 1384 and 1422, designed by Antonio di Vincenzo, the Palazzo d'Accursio, the Town Hall, built in 1290, home to the Municipal Art Collections Bologna and the Morandi Museum.
Finally, stands the Basilica of San Petronio, designed by Antonio di Vincenzo, whose construction begun in 1390 and unfortunately never finished.