Among the architectural complexes and monuments that make the city of Bologna so special, the 16th century Archiginnasio is one of the most significant ones. Located in the very heart of the old town, is was the seat of the ancient University and today works as public library.
The construction of the Archiginnasio was ordered by Cardinal Borromeo between 1562 and 1563, on a project by architect Antonio Morandi called "Terribilia", when the area of Piazza Maggiore was drastically restructured under request of the Pope.
The building was badly damaged by bombing in 1944 and rebuilt later. Today it represents one of the most appealing and interesting attractions in all of Bologna.