Guided excursion around the landscapes of Val d'Orcia
Join our excursion in the Val d'Orcia, surrounded by green rolling cultivated hills, to discover the typical products of Montepulciano and Pienza. An area declared World Heritage by UNESCO, loved by the Popes and Emperors, where culture and food traditions come together for a unique eXPerience.
Guided activity around the landscapes of Val d'Orcia highlights:
- Follow the narrow streets of the Val d' Orcia, a UNESCO World Heritage Site since 2004
- Immerse yourself in the gentle, carefully cultivated green hills of one of the most beautiful natural landscapes of Italy
- Explore the small town of Montepulciano to discover its culture and its most valuable product: the high-quality red wine Vino Nobile
- Discover the small town of Pienza, an architectural jewel of the Italian Renaissance
- Experience the traditions and local festivals of Tuscany: from the “Bravio delle Botii”, a running competition with wine barrels, to the "Cacio al fuso", also known as “the cheese to the spindle”.
Our unique tour of the Val d'Orcia will give you the opportunity to discover, in one day trip, all the best this area has to offer: history, culture and good food, immersed in one of the most beautiful natural landscapes of Italy.
The Val d' Orcia is a wide valley on the border between Tuscany and Umbria, characterized by green hills occasionally broken by gullies and by picturesque towns and villages. Since 2004 it has been declared a World Heritage Site by UNESCO, because of its unique state of preservation, which has become famous through its depiction in works of art from the Italian Renaissance painting.
Our tour of the Val d'Orcia begins in Montepulciano, a medieval town also known as "the pearl of the Sixteenth Century" for the extraordinary elegance of its buildings. The tour will take you to Piazza Grande, the main square, where you can admire the Public Palace, the Cathedral of Santa Maria Assuntaand other eternal treasures.
Besides being a gem of inestimable artistic value, Montepulciano is also the home of the Vino Nobile, a high-quality red wine: the tour includes a stop in a typical winery. Here, you will also discover the origins of one the oldest Festival, “Bravio delle Botti”, where competitors run uphill while pushing a large barrel full of wine!
The tour of the Val d'Orcia will continue to the Temple of San Biagio, a place full of charm and spirituality. We will have a picnic lunch amongst the green valleys, tasting some of the local products of this area: olive oil, meat, affettati (sliced salami and prosciutto), jams, honey and delicious cheeses, especially the famous Pecorino of Pienza.
And Pienza is the last stop of our tour: a small village that was the birthplace of Pope Pius II, who had it rebuilt during the Renaissance, transforming it into a real gem: you can visit the Duomo (Cathedral), walk along the walls of the city and explore the narrow streets of the historic centre .
Join this authentic Italian eXPerience with this tour of the Val d' Orcia, and discover places and flavors that only Italy can offer.
Other Tuscany Tours!
If you are interested in this kind of tours, we recommend the Brunello Wine Tour from Florence.
- winery of "Vino Nobile"
- Temple of San Biagio
- lunch break in the countryside
- professional tourist guide
- guided visit to the historic centre of Montepulciano and Pienza
- guided visit to the Tempio of San Biagio
- visit to the winery that produces "Vino Nobile", high-quality red wine
- lunch / tasting session of typical products
- entrance to the Cattedrale of Pienza
Meeting point information and local telephone numbers at your destination are included on your Confirmation Voucher.
We recommend to wear comfortable clothing.
Also, appropriate clothing is required for the entrance to museums and places of worship.
You are kindly invited to follow your guide and enforce the rules that will be explained, in respect of the celebrations and the places you will visit.
You can book your private transportation service with ItalyXP.
Confirmation will be received within 48 hours of booking, subject to availability. Once your booking is confirmed we will email you a voucher. This is your ticket and proof of purchase.