Tuscany visit to the Castelvecchio Natural Reserve, in San Gimignano
Join this unique excursion into the green of the Natural Reserve of Castelvecchio, a few kilometers from San Gimignano, famous for its tall towers. An oasis of peace and tranquility that holds an unexpected historical treasure: the ruins of the medieval village of Castelvecchio.
Tuscany experience to the Castelvecchio Natural Reserve, in San Gimignano highlights:
- Explore the medieval village of Castelvecchio and its various remains: the impressive fortifications, houses and the Romanesque church.
- Admire the amazingly preserved ruins of this village abandoned in the 15th century.
- Enjoy a quiet walk in the forest of the Castelvecchio Natural Reserve, and prepare to be amazed by the unexpected sight of the towers that rise suddenly on the limestone gorges.
- Experience the panoramic view from the last tower, suspended between the two gorges that will delight you with its beauty.
- Feel the magical atmosphere of this place out of time.
Tuscany experience to the Castelvecchio Natural Reserve, in San Gimignano
Request more infoCustomize your trip!
This excursion in the heart of the Tuscan countryside will give you the opportunity to discover the ancient medieval village of Castelvecchio, hidden in the green of a natural reserve a few kilometers from San Gimignano, also known as the “Manhattan of Tuscany” for its characteristic tall towers. A relaxing walk through green rolling hills, which will lead you to the remains of Castelvecchio, a historic wonder out of time.
The main street of the village, dotted with ancient ruins, comes out on the square where now stands the church of San Frediano: a little hidden gem of Romanesque architecture, with a rectangular plan and semicircular apse so perfect that your hand touch will not perceive the discontinuity between one stone and another. The church of San Frediano is the best preserved building of the Castelvecchio ruins, a precious testimony of medieval life in this area.
Then, led by our expert guide, you will head to the eastern tower that dominates the landscape, with two grooves that meet a few meters from there: a charming place where you can enjoy a breathtaking panoramic view of the surrounding valleys and capture your Castelvecchio guided tour with unforgettable pictures.
More things to do in Tuscany!
If you are a nature lover, check out our Excursion to San Gimignano and its surroundings. You will discover the ancient Etruscan tombs enjoying breathtaking views! If you are looking for a more classic visit, book our Tour of San Gimignano, Siena, Chianti and Monteriggioni.
- Departing from the provincial street of Cornocchio (between Castel San Gimignano and San Gimignano)
- Castelvecchio Natural Reserve
- Professional tourist guide
- Excursion in the Castelvecchio Natural Reserve
- Visit to the ancient medieval village
- Visit to the church of San Frediano
- Tips (optional)
Meeting point information and local telephone numbers at your destination are included on your Confirmation Voucher.
We suggest that you wear comfortable clothes and shoes, and wear sunglasses and a sun hat in the summer months.
Also, make sure to do not forget to bring a bottle of water.
You can book your private transportation service with ItalyXP.
Confirmation will be received within 48 hours of booking, subject to availability. Once your booking is confirmed we will email you a voucher. This is your ticket and proof of purchase.