Tuscany landscapes special excursion to Castellina in Chianti
Join our unique tour to one of the most charming villages of Chianti region, Castellina: a magical journey through history, nature and fine cuisine in the heart of lovely Tuscany. Discover with us the Etruscan roots of this area, surrounded by charming landscapes of cypress trees and green hills.
Tuscany landscapes special excursion to Castellina in Chianti highlights:
- Experience the most picturesque rolling hills in the world: those of Chianti region
- Chianti is not only vineyards, cypress trees or landscapes… But also history: discover with us the most ancient villages and their history
- Explore the historic centre of Castellina in Chianti, a beautiful town with Etruscan origins
- Visit the Archeological Museum and Montecalvario Mound, an authentic Etruscan tomb
- Taste the typical products of the regionin one of Chianti’s organic farm
Along a landscape of rolling hills, we will take you to discover Castellina in Chianti, one of the most characteristic villages of Tuscany. A small town surrounded by the countryside, sight of ancient battles between the secular republics of Siena and Florence, made even more epic by anecdotes and legends such as the "Black Rooster", symbol of the Chianti in medieval times...
Our tour to Castellina in Chianti will trace the history of the entire Chianti region, starting from its roots: you will learn about the shepherds that 4.000 years ago moved in search of pasture, in the time of Etruscan princes (end of VII -VI century); and then, led by our expert guide, you will move on to the next period (IV -III century) and learn about the fortified settlements on high positions.
The next stop will be the Archeological Museum of Chianti Senese, where unusual antiquities and archaeological evidence will introduce you to the way of living of the ancient Etruscan civilization.
Then, you will have the opportunity to visit the Mound of Monte Calvario, an authentic Etruscan tomb located near the town of Castellina. The site consists of four underground tombs, arranged according to the cardinal points, and where most of the exhibits of the Museum come from.
The tour of Castellina in Chianti, unique Tuscany’s jewel, can only end with a stop at a local winery where you can finally taste the high-quality wine, rigorously produced locally, and learn about its secrets.
More things to do in Tuscany!
If you would like to enjoy the magnificence of Chiantishire,do not miss our Excursion to Poggibonsi and its surroundings. Otherwise, if you want to know the ancient history of these lands, book our Tour of Cetona: from the Paleolithic to the Present in a Day Trip!
- The town of Castellina in Chianti
- The Etruscan Museum of Archeology
- The Rocca (castle) and the 14th-century tower
- The Etruscan Tombs at Monte Calvario
- Chianti winery
- Professional tourist guide
- Visit to the historic centre of Castellina in Chianti
- Visit to the 14th-century Tower of the the Rocca (castle)
- Visit to the Archeological Museum of Chianti Senese
- Visit to the Etruscan Tombs at Monte Calvario
- Tasting session of local products and Chianti wine
- Participation in practical archeology activities (only 10€ additional to the tour cost to pay to the Guide)
- Tips (optional)
Meeting point information and local telephone numbers at your destination are included on your Confirmation Voucher.
We suggest that you wear comfortable clothes and shoes, and wear sunglasses and a sun hat in the summer months.
You can book your private transportation service with ItalyXP.
Confirmation will be received within 48 hours of booking, subject to availability. Once your booking is confirmed we will email you a voucher. This is your ticket and proof of purchase.