Tuscany fantastic experience to Poggibonsi and its surroundings
Join this hike tour to Poggibonsi and its enchanting surroundings, following a path on the edge between Renaissance fortifications, copses, vineyards and olive groves. Discover with us the Gothic Fonte delle Fate (Fairies' Spring), the remains of San Lucchese and other magic sights out of time.
Tuscany amazing experience to Poggibonsi and its surroundings highlights:
- Explore Poggibonsi, an ancient town that conceals in its surroundings important and little-known treasures from Renaissance and medieval times.
- Walking through architectural wonders, you will see unexpected views on the Chianti region.
- Discover the ruins of a medieval city, razed to the ground and then surrounded by a fortress built by Lorenzo de 'Medici.
- Feel the fairytale atmosphere of the Castle of Badia and its avenue of cypresses.
- A Tuscan’s hidden gem, where nature and history enhance together.
Our exciting hike tour in the heart of Tuscany will lead you to the discovery the town of Poggibonsi and the treasures of its surroundings. Starting from the historic centre we will hike through the woods to reach the ramparts of the Renaissance fortress of Poggio Imperiale, built by Lorenzo de' Medici and designed by Giuliano da Sangallo in order to establish a new settlement on the site where once stood the town of Poggiobonizio, destroyed in 1270. Inside the fortress you will see the excavations that have brought to light the foundations of the previous city, with its church and its buildings.
From this point, the tour of Poggibonsi continues to one of the most impressive Gothic fountains in Italy: the Fonte delle Fate (Fairies' Spring), dating back to the mid-13th century, was discovered by chance in the 19th century, when a farmer was swallowed into the ground that he was cultivating.
Climbing the adjacent hill we will arrive at the Franciscan Basilica of San Lucchese, and we will continue our walk along the breathtaking views of the Elsa Valley, the town of San Gimignano and the Chianti Hills. The point of arrival is the neo-Gothic bizarre Castle of Badia, built on the ruins of an ancient abbey dedicated to Saint Michael the Archangel.
We will then return to Poggibonsi through an enchanting avenue of cypress trees, ending the tour in the historic centre.
More things to do in Tuscany!
Discover the beauty of the Chiantishire, do not miss our Tour to Castellina in Chianti. Otherwise, if you want to know the ancient history of these lands, book our Tour of Cetona: from the Paleolithic to the Present in a Day Trip!
- The historic centre of Poggibonsi
- Fortress of Poggio Imperiale
- Ruins of Poggiobonizio town
- Fonte delle Fate (Fairies' Spring)
- Basilica of San Lucchese
- Castle of Badia
- Professional tourist guide
- Excursion to Poggibonsi
- Visit to the ruins of Poggiobonizio
- Entrance to the Basilica of San Lucchese
- Visit to the Castle of Badia
- Tips (optional)
Meeting point information and local telephone numbers at your destination are included on your Confirmation Voucher.
We suggest that you wear comfortable clothes and shoes, and wear sunglasses and a sun hat in the summer months.
Also, make sure to do not forget to bring a bottle of water.
You can book your private transportation service with ItalyXP.
Confirmation will be received within 48 hours of booking, subject to availability. Once your booking is confirmed we will email you a voucher. This is your ticket and proof of purchase.