Visit to Pernina, the Church of San Giovanni Battista and Villa Cetinale
An excursion to the district of Pernina that combines the austere Romanesque architecture of the Church of San Giovanni Battista and the splendor of the seventeenth-century Villa Cetinale. Discover this unique and timeless sight in the heart of the lovely Tuscan countryside.
Excursion to Pernina, the Church of San Giovanni Battista and Villa Cetinale highlights:
- An immersion in the natural and architectural wonders of the Tuscan landscape.
- Feel the contrast between the medieval austerity and the baroque splendor of the architecture of Pernina.
- Explore the old cultures and the ancient trees in the distant background of Siena.
- Let's find out the monumental masterpieces designed by Carlo Fontana.
- Discover the Tebaide Park and its mysterious "pathway of penitence"...
Excursion to Pernina, the Church of San Giovanni Battista and Villa Cetinale
Request more infoCustomize your trip!
This unique excursion in Pernina will take you on a real leap through the centuries, bringing you from the Middle Ages to the 17th-century.
The tour begins in the small plateau dominated by the Romanesque Church of Pernina (San Giovanni Battista), where you can visit the characteristic and imposing bell tower placed in front of the facade, as well as admire the impressive Romanesque style that characterizes the building and its interior.
Then, walking along the abandoned cultivations now filled with hawthorn and wild roses, you can enter in a forest of oaks, where suddenly you will run into a marvelous baroque building, called the Scala Santa (Holy Stairs), entrance of the great Tebaide Park. The park is connected to the Cetinale Villa and the Hermitage, where the Cardinal Flavio Chigi would have gone to meditate in solitude. The complex, designed by Carlo Fontana in 1680, is amazingly well preserved.
From here, we will continue downhill, along a path surrounded by small architectural wonders, such as sculptures, kiosks and portals. Finally, we will go back to the starting point through the dense woods of Montagnola Senese.
More things to do in Tuscany!
Enjoy the beauty of the Tuscan countryside, book our Excursion to Montemaggio. Otherwise, if you want to combine the architectural beauty with breathtaking views of Tuscany, do not miss our Tour to Rosia or our hike Tour to the Hermitage of Montespecchio.
- The historic centre of Pernina
- Church of San Giovanni Battista
- Villa Cetinale
- Excursion into the forest of Montagnola Senese
- Professional tourist guide
- Excursion into the forest
- Visit to the Church of San Giovanni Battista
- Visit to the Villa Cetinale
- Tips (optional)
Meeting point information and local telephone numbers at your destination are included on your Confirmation Voucher.
We suggest that you wear comfortable clothes and shoes, and wear sunglasses and a sun hat in the summer months.
Also, appropriate clothing is required for the entrance to museums and places of worship.
You can book your private transportation service with ItalyXP.
Confirmation will be received within 48 hours of booking, subject to availability. Once your booking is confirmed we will email you a voucher. This is your ticket and proof of purchase.