The Mole Antonelliana, symbol of Turin, is an impressive architectural example of great charm. The building was begun in 1863 by the architect Alessandro Antonelli.
Initially it was conceived as a synagogue, it was acquired in 1878 by the City of Turin, while it was still under construction, to make it a monument to national unity.
The massive structure was completed in 1889 by Costanzo Antonelli, son of the first architect who worked on the project until his death.
In those years, the Mole Antonelliana appeared with its 167 meters of highness, and it was the Europe's tallest masonry building.